Miami-Dade County Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Accident in Hialeah Hotel Room Kills 5 Teenagers

A birthday celebration recently turned deadly when a Hialeah carbon monoxide poisoning incident claimed the lives of five teenagers. The deceased include Miami residents Juchen C. Marctial, 19, Evans Charles, also, 19, Jean Pierre Ferdinand, 16, and Jonas Antenor and Peterson Nazon, both 17.

The teens had reportedly gotten together on Sunday night to for Marctial’s birthday. The following afternoon, a maid found their bodies inside a room at the Hotel Presidente. All of them were in their street clothes.

Fire tests show that there was a high concentration of carbon monoxide in the room, which is above a private garage where the victims had left a car running. The door going from the garage to the room was left slightly ajar. According to friends of the teens, the vehicle had a troublesome starter.

Investigators are trying to determine whether the garage or motel room had operating carbon monoxide detectors. Since 2007, Florida has required that motel and hotel boiler rooms have gas detectors and that all apartments and residences constructed after July 1, 2008 that include an attached garage, a fireplace, or a heater have an alarm within 10 feet of bedrooms.

Carbon Monoxide Facts
This deadly gas, called the silent killer, is odorless, colorless, and invisible. Symptoms can include confusion, chest pain, dizziness, headaches, vomiting, weakness, and nausea.

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says that over 400 people die in the US each year from CO poisoning. This type of injury lands over 20,000 people in the ER annually and over 4,000 are hospitalized.

Premise owners and the manufacturers of products that malfunction can be held liable for Miami personal injury or wrongful death if a hazard on the property and/or a product that malfunctions causes CO poisoning.

Carbon monoxide poisoning suspected in 5 teens’ deaths, Miami Herald, December 27, 2010
Carbon Monoxide May Be Greater Threat in Winter, US News, December 27, 2010
5 found dead in Florida motel room, CNN, December 28, 2010

Related Web Resources:
Carbon Monoxide Poisoning, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
Protect Your Family and Yourself from Carbon Monoxide Poisoning, Environmental Protection Agency
In South Florida, contact our West Palm Beach personal injury law firm today.

Contact Information